Search This Rambling of Blog

Saturday 14 April 2012

Back to Raglan…bad tempers and vivid rainbows!

Arriving back in Raglan AGAIN…We headed straight back out to our old campsite and headed down the beach as the sun had already begun to dip low on the horizon. As we clambered up over the last sand dune the final rays of golden sunshine were getting caught in the big rooster tails of spray being blowing high by the stiff offshore blowing out over the outer reef. As we sat watching the golden plumes of spray turn from orange to red the dunes behind us gradually meandered through muted malt colors before becoming a crisp silhouette against the darkening sky. Only once the last touch of pink left the wee wispy clouds above the horizon did the most magical moon I’ve ever seen start to rise. The size of a china dinner plate; and looking just as delicate, with a hint of orange which faded as it climbed higher in the deepening dark blue sky. It’s glow casting eerie silver shadows all along the beach and picked out the set wave faces as they rolled in towards the shallows where they would eventually break. Their spray still blown high on the breeze casting creepy dancing shadows on the wet silvery sand.

The next morning we were super excited about getting in and snagging a few good’uns before ‘the mob’ got their act together and dragged themselves out into the line up. This was the plan anyway. It turned into more like humming and hawing about how it might have been better last time and why were the lefts breaking so inconsistently. Anyways we stopped faffing and got in, mairi electing to go try surf a left coming off the rocky point where there were more consistent waves, less people, but smaller and shorter waves. I tossed in my luck with everyone else and paddled out where ‘the mob’ sat with the confidence that I could out paddle the long boarders and get on the waves way before the short boarders. This wasn’t the case, not only was I not getting waves nether were any of them so after a frustrating half hour I decided to paddle out to where we had watched the rooster tails bellowing in the late sunshine the night before and try catch one of the big bombie out reef waves. Although they had big fat faces I was confident I could pump/boadyboard in on one and pop up as it hit the inner sandbars. The first couple of waves this worked a treat only on my 3rd attempt the grumpy old dudes with logs had clicked what was going on and one decided to try get in on it. Only he was too lazy/old to paddle out to the peak and so he turned half way out and started paddling only just as he caught the wave I came burst bouncing around out of the foaming wall of white water on in prone position, a quick look down the perfectly lining up face told me I was inside him and so got to my feet before him. Now this is where I am probably at fault…but you would have done the same! I delay my turn and then at the opportune moment (just as hes half popped up-takes awhile when your older) execute the most over exaggerated drop wallet laydown bottom turn as close to the front of his board as I could get, crossing his path with cm to spare before going on to have a cracking wave. On the paddle back out I had to paddle through the crowd of firstly laughing short boarders and then the daunting group of snarling longboards who had just seen what had gone down. As I start my apology to the old git he started his torrent of abuse, and when I repeated my apology and pointed out the rules he splashed me which made me laugh (which really did NOT help my case) so giving up I turn and continue my paddle out. Only the old git try’s to follow me while keeping up his abuse about English back packers, at which point I decided enough is enough. After correcting him on my nationality in no uncertain terms and following it up with my own brand of Weegie abuse he looked rather confused and paddled off down the beach to surf the waist high close out. While all this was going on Mairi was catching wee peelers over on the point by herself and wondering why I and everyone else was sitting on a rubbish sand bar which the tide had come in too far to break the dying swell.

After some pancakes it was time to head get away from the beach (my new best mate was also the local board hire man and spent his days sitting at the entrance to the beach) and head inland to bridal falls. Now after our last few encounters with Australian waterfalls we weren’t getting too excited, well bridal falls changed all that! This thing was spectacular! A track lead down through some pretty standard bush but then all of a sudden the bush cleared and we found our selves looking out over the valley and standing at the top of a bloody massive cliff with the water cascading off down into the tiny wee plunge pool. On reaching the plunge pool-there was A LOT of steps-we found the pool to be pretty big and the cliff even bigger than we first realized. The water landed in thunderous curtains and the spray drifted up and out in big spirals out over the wee observation deck creating multiple vivid rainbows.





No comments:

Post a Comment